Stress is a very common life experience. Few if any of us can live without experiencing some level of stress in our lives. Stress is not necessarily bad for us. Almost any emotion can trigger the body’s stress mechanism and even present with motivating power. The human body is very well prepared to handle life’s short-term stress factors. That is, our body activates an automatic alarm system and then brings itself back to homeostasis, or balance. However, long-term, chronic or persistent stress can be debilitating. Persistent stress is so common to our demanding and intense lifestyles and increasingly takes its toll. For example, according to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), almost 25 million Americans suffer from some form of anxiety disorder, including panic attacks, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, phobias, Generalized Anxiety Disorder and chronic sleep disorders. Nearly 60 billion dollars is spent per year on treatments.
Stress can also be friend or enemy to business and industry. Good stress will help motivate employees and increase productivity. Bad stress will potentially impair employees’ performance, working relationships, and timely attendance. Training develops new skills, enhances previously acquired skills, increases performance, and enhances personal and professional development. Companies that invest from 2-5% of their annual payroll in training and employee assistance programs can realize up to a 10% increase in net profits.
Please take this opportunity to explore whether or not you are at risk for significant stress, anxiety, and related emotional issues by answering the following questions.
- Do you feel overwhelmed with stress or anxiety?
- Do you frequently feel nervous, jittery or experience excessive worry?
- Does your life feel controlled by your mood?
- Are you experiencing difficulties with sleep or appetite?
- Do you feel intense or overwhelming fear or other negative emotions?
- Are you compelled to consume food, alcohol, drugs, etc. for comfort or to take the edge off of your emotional distress?
- Are your relationships struggling?
- Are you having work, family, interpersonal, relationship, or psychosocial issues?
- Are you facing a difficult life change?
- Are your children or teens misbehaving, failing in school, or suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder/Hyperactivity (ADHD)?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, please contact us for an appointment.
V. White & Associates, Inc., was developed in 1992. Our main office is located in Winter Park, Florida. We continue to specialize in stress/anger management, consulting, training, and psychotherapeutic services. We serve a very diverse client population and deliver quality mental health assessments, evaluations, and psychotherapy in office and community-based settings. Our professional associates have provided therapy in the homes of needy families for special populations. Please note that provider status is active for several insurance companies and agency/governmental programs.